We have been a inviting faith. Unitarian Universalism does not simply start its doorways to individuals of all sexual orientations and gender identities—we value variety of sexuality and sex and determine this diversity being a profound gift that is spiritual.
“Discovering The Right Words”
Language about intimate orientation and gender identification changes and modifications: new terms are created; other words alter definitions. Learning just how differing people utilize language to generate meaning is very important, as is making use of language that is inclusive. In discussion with several people and communities, we’ve developed some working definitions. Do not stop with one of these definitions, though–see the base of these pages for next actions to deepn your understanding.
We affirm the worth that is inherent dignity of any individual. intimate orientation is a main section of whom we are—being real to ourselves and honoring each other’s facts are a spiritual imperative.
Intimate orientation defines the pattern of a person’s attractions that are sexual on sex. Intimate attraction and romantic attraction are usually lumped together as though they truly are the exact exact exact same. That isn’t constantly the way it is. Affectional orientation defines the pattern of a person’s attraction that is romantic or the sex associated with the individuals a individual falls in deep love with or really wants to mate with.
You can find three fundamental forms of intimate orientations: Monosexual, polysexual, www.adult-friend-finder.org and asexual.
Some individuals are solely drawn to people in just one sex. Intimate orientation labels employed by folks of the sex that is same:
- Gay: generally relates to a guy that is drawn to males. Often relates to all those who are drawn to individuals of the exact same intercourse; often “homosexual” can be used with this additionally, even though this label is observed by numerous today as a medical term which should be resigned from typical usage.
- Lesbian: a female that is interested in ladies. Often additionally or alternatively “same gender-loving woman” or “woman loving girl.”
- Directly: a person that is solely drawn to ladies or a female that is solely drawn to males; also often generally speaking utilized to individuals whoever sexualities are societally normative. Alternatively described as “heterosexual.”
Some individuals are drawn to members of multiple genders. Intimate orientation labels utilized by polysexual individuals consist of:
- Bisexual: interested in individuals of a person’s very very own sex and folks of other gender(s). Often referred to as “bi.” See Bisexuality 101 to find out more.
- Pansexual: drawn to people irrespective of gender. Often also or alternately “omnisexual.”
- Queer: just like pansexual, queer may be an identity label and thus one is interested in individuals of numerous genders; nevertheless, queer is a multi-faceted term with several meaning and employ, and it is seen as unpleasant by many people. See Queer 101 for more information.
Some individuals usually do not experience intimate attraction. Many people this relates to identify as asexual.
- Asexual: maybe maybe perhaps not sexually interested in anyone and/or maybe not functioning on attraction to anybody. Will not indicate sexless. Asexual people sometimes do experience affectional (romantic) attraction.See Asexuality 101 for more information.
Some people don’t like and don’t use labels in addition to the above. Other individuals identify as Questioning: a phrase utilized to describe a person who is not sure of or exploring their intimate orientation and/or sex identification.
Gender Identity and Expression
We affirm each person’s ability to evaluate in the way that is most authentic to their soul for themselves who they are and express themselves. We honor the diversity of truths that exists inside our communities.
Gender is multi-faceted and complex. In North American tradition several distinct areas of ourselves have lumped together once we talk about “gender”:
- Biological Intercourse: attributes such as for example physiology, chromosomes, and hormones that is often assigned at delivery and inform whether an individual is male, feminine, or intersex.
- Gender identification: An individual’s sense that is internal of a guy, a female, neither of those, both, and so on—it is one’s internal feeling of being and one’s own knowledge of how one relates to the sex binary. Apart from agender individuals, whom usually would not have a interior feeling of sex, a lot of people have sex identification.
- Gender Expression: the real ways that a individual manifests masculinity, femininity, both, or neither through look, behavior, gown, message patterns, preferences, and much more.
The social expectation is the fact that one’s biological sex, sex identification, and sex expression will align in stereotypical means: that an individual who is male will identify as being a boy/man and now have a masculine sex phrase, for instance. This expectation will not provide our diverse globe as well as the array experiences of self which exist.
For lots more definitions about sex identity and phrase, see Transgender 101. We likewise have resources for Queer and Trans Youth.
Definitions can’t ever encompass whom our company is as complete beings that are human. The invitation that is spiritual to get a cross divides of distinction and simply take dangers by authentically deciding to become familiar with the other person. Labels is tools of liberation or oppression—it’s all in exactly exactly exactly how they are used by us. Therefore never stop with simply learning definitions. Listed below are three next actions for really deepening your understanding.
- Explore your own sense of self: exactly exactly What perform some definitions above talk about for you personally? What language do you really used to explain your sense that is own of?
- Communicate with people you trust about sexual gender and orientation identification. Inquire further respectfully what exactly is true for them and explore things that confuse you or you are interested in learning.
- Develop relationships with individuals that have various intimate orientations and sex identities from your. Be respectful of each and every person’s directly to privacy by asking open-ended questions to find out about how they feel the globe.